Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ten word Tuesday: DV flipping D edition

I had a very frustrating thing happen to me recently, something right up there with trying to open up a new CD (what is the deal with that packaging anyway??) or trying to wipe yourself when the toilet paper in a public restroom is dispensing one dismal square at a time.

This recent stressor is likely a less common incident, but one maybe some of you have experienced. I had a new yoga video, all loaded up, ready to go, yoga mat spread out behind me, yoga gear on, and I could not watch/do the damn thing because I could not get to the play option. I was stuck on the DVD's main menu, with five options before me, one of them the blessed play option, with no way to select it -- so I've got the menu items listed on the right side of the screen, Rajashree Choudhury doing a standing bow pose over and over and over and over on the left side, and the same, now completely irritating introductory Indian music playing a nonstop loop. The remote simply refused to function.

Jesus, was it even the right one? A good question, since I have five remotes, two of which I know what they operate, three of which ended up here after the divorce, division of belongings, and move, so which may well belong to electronics now housed in my ex husband's house.

It is the same brand as the DVD player though, and it does pause the DVD if I hit pause, but that's ALL it does, nothing more. Aargh.

So here's my ten words for this Tuesday.

Why can't things just fucking work they way they should?

10 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

Amen! I always have a heck of a time getting DVDs to play. Either the play option is extremely difficult to navigate to, or else the remote is wonky.

Wouldn't it be funny that every time you pressed a button on your remote, something in your ex's house would shut off? :)

Anonymous said...

I say those ten words often..... It's always something, isn't it?

Does one of those remotes maybe make your ex's garage door go up and down? Now that would really be messing with his mind.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I bet it didn't snow 10 inches in the Keys.

Ellie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Sometimes the Cosmic Waitress does not earn her 15% tip

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Okay, Ellie, I have no idea what you're talking about. And Jacquie, very good point! I've been working the Cosmic Waitress really hard lately, and she's been doing an impressive job, but you're right, she's not giving exemplary service in every trivial aspect of my life. Hmm, what's up with that?

And Pickles and Dimes and Di, you two are cracking me up. If my ex's garage door goes up every time I press the non-functioning play button on that remote, it's absolutely worth it!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I have trouble doing yoga to DVDs. All the time I'm craning my neck and stuff to watch what they're doing which leaves me always in the wrong position because there's never a "crane your neck toward the TV" position.

unmitigated me said...

Wow, you need to relax. Have you tried yoga?

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Beth! It *did* snow 10 inches here in New London. Talk about March coming in like a motherhumping Lion. And the Keys iz where I want to be instead.

Oh, and for the record? LOL, all y'all. Good one(s), XUP and Unmitigated.....

Ellie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I guess my confusion was what it had to do with this post -- nothing apparently. And that's okay, Ellie :-)

Beth

Anonymous said...

That would be cool if when it snowed in the Keys your ex's garage door would go up.