Thursday, September 3, 2009

san elijo

We went camping last weekend, and it was so good. Good friends, good weather, good location, good food, good drinks, good waves, good work outs, good times.

It's hard to recap all this opulent goodness, and so hard to select representative photos, even though the photos that I did take are pretty much crap because I was generally too drunk busy having fun! and there was so much stuff to be carried everywhere, always, and I kept forgetting things and then there would be 103 stairs between me and my camera.

But share I shall, because that's how we roll here at Me and You and Ellie!

To begin, there's the series I like to call:
"let me get a shot of you on that ladder! but try to look like a giant dork, okay?"

Up there in the right hand corner? The only photo taken of me the entire long weekend. Bastids. But check it out - that was the view from our campsite up on the bluffs. Sigh.



Next, let's enjoy friends and sunsets, shall we?

Those sunsets were delicious. And the ocean? 70 degrees.


There were dogs. And bodysurfing, and more sunsets.
The kids spent more time in the ocean than out.

We ate and drank a lot.

Alot of meat. And alot of booze. We were very thirsty.

On the last day, friends came to visit!

We ate and drank with them, just to be different.

Did you think I was kidding about the 103 stairs?

This was our avenue to and from the beach. In the early mornings, those stairs were chock full of fit people doing crazy-ass things like push ups on each landing followed by sprints to the next one. Those Are Painful. We worked out well though, running along the surf each morning and then knocking out a few idiocies on the stairs. We owned those damned stairs. And it was positively liberating to 'run up and grab' this or that from camp, an anecdote to the relentless eating and drinking and sitting upon asses.

The sleeping was our only bane, we never did get it quite right* between the dogs and the kids and the tents and the thick, cooling marine layer. But everyone kept a good attitude about it, knowing that once we were home in our nice comfy beds, we'd sleep well but we'd miss San Elijo.

*some people did get it right

5 comments:

camping like a refugee in PA said...

I'm going camping with you next time.
hanging out in the PA woods makes your trip seem like a spa weekend at a resort!
babies always find the best way to sleep :)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh how I love this, Jacqueline. I love San Elijo and these awesome photos make me miss it so much. I love the one with the girls plopped right down in the middle of the campsite. And tiny Miss Carsyn? Ach.

Remember we camped there the last time we were in San Diego? In the morning we had to pack up all our crap into the Westy and we thought about driving home then realized we were at the beach. At like 10 a.m. Which is well-nigh impossible to do. Unless, of course, you wake up there. Which we did. And ended up having a great beach day. With beers.

Just lovely.

xxEllie

MB said...

Looks like you had such a great time, Jacq! I love all your pictures. And you do not look dorky on the ladder!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Can you say jealous??? Please, please bring me next time!!

I love that place, although I've only ever hung out in day, never spent the night, and NEVER have I witnesses the morning stair madness...

Nice photo collages, btw, and nice photo of you, even if it is the ONLY one :-)

Beth

KG said...

That? Looks like SOO much fun. I never have any pictures of me, either. My husband can't take a picture to save his life, so I'm always the one behind the camera.