Thursday, September 10, 2009

Disposaclothes

So I'm probably going to hell. And I am not even trying Al Gore.

I just don't have it in me right now.

As anyone who has just had a baby can attest to, your body is not what it was before you began the whole long journey of pregnancy. It's bigger, in SO many places. And it's worked and tired and just longs for comfort, especially if you've delivered via Cesarean section and have an impressive scar running across your abdomen. A scar that is still healing, and still hurts, and limits your activities.

I've tried real clothes, I have. I've gotten dressed up, and tried to be presentable, but nothing looks right and very few garments are comfortable enough for wear that spans more than a few hours. In addition, whatever I wear is commonly spotted with spit up or spilled baby formula, or both.

All I want to wear are disposaclothes.

You know, those really, really cheap yoga pants that you buy at those incredibly cheap stores that cater to teeny boppers on a tight budget? Those stores that you just know are selling clothes made by people making way less than they should be each day?

These pants are all I wear these days. I even had to send my husband out to get more during my stint in the hospital; I described what I needed and told him they're typically around $9. It turns out they were down to $4.99. How is that possible?

It can't be good. I know that. The tag I checked yesterday said the pants were made in Cambodia. Folks there likely make in a year what I make in a paycheck.

But I'm addicted, so I don't really want to know the specifics.

I hope to be off the junk in the next few months. But until then, it's more disposaclothes....

7 comments:

unmitigated me said...

Oh, honey...thrift shop and wash in hot. Heaven on earth for disposaclothes. I can remember not being able to wear a white top for YEARS because of baby handprints.

still in my PJs in PA said...

you forgot to mention that you probably look GREAT in your disposaclothes!
Aren't you glad it's not a "housecoat". Think of all those 1950's mom having to spend months in that :)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Aw, Beth. I'm sure any underpaid worker would be happy to know it's you she's getting underpaid for.

Wait, did I just say that out loud?

Anyway, they the first step to breaking an addiction is realizing you have one. Step One? Check.

xxEllie

Anonymous said...

I think new mothers get special dispensation to do whatever they want. But, anyway, you will probably make retribution later by cutting up all those disposaclothes into little squares and making them into quilts which you'll send to 3rd world countries.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I remember the very sad day when I realized that I could no longer get away with wearing those wide banded maternity pants. Those were the best! I don't think yoga pants were invented way back then, but if they had been, you can bet I'd have worn holes in a few favorite pairs.

Whatever it takes, girlfriend! And for the record, you looked beautiful in your pink dress the other day, milk drips and all!

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Note to self, must learn to quilt.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Dis-clothes-ables!