Tuesday, September 15, 2009

No pair

My husband is set on a 18- 25-year-old Swedish au pair, I'm looking for someone older, with more experience. If you have any doubt who's going to win this one, let me remind you that my husband works from home, so he'll be in close quarters with the future nanny, while I work fulltime out of the house.

Yes, I'll win, but I can't believe it's already time to find the perfect person to watch the baby while we're both earning a living.

Seeing as I worked from home just part time when my other daughters were babies (and beyond) this is the first time I find myself undertaking this particular task.

Hold the relish; I'm not looking forward. Actually, we have someone in mind, but if this (yes, older, more mature) person is not able to commit, or is in some other way not a good fit, we're on our own, left to figure it out ourselves.

It's the "ourselves" that gives me pause. It would be so much simpler if it were "myself." And it really should be, right? I mean, I'm her MOM. I know what's best for her, and I've recruited many a babysitter in my day, and, well, I'm a control freak.

But it's my husband who has to interact with said person on a daily basis. It's he who has to communicate the daily needs to her, share his home space with her, and generally get along with her.

Hey, now that I think about it, maybe we'd be better off with a 25-year-old manny...

6 comments:

loved being a nanny in DelMar said...

my vote is for the manny OR
the best former nanny you know that wants to get away from her teenage son and soon to be teenage daughters, and doesn't mind the beautiful weather that San Diego has to offer.
I have references (just don't ask my kids!)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't recommend the 25-year-old nanny. Every Hollywood nanny movie ever made (not to mention a few made-for-TV movies and daytime serials) caution against this. Also, what do 25-year-olds know about caring for and nurturing a child?

Anonymous said...

She doesn't have to be from Sweden. And she doesn't have to be 25. She could be anywhere from 18-25. I'm flexible...Hopefully, she is too.

With work hours, that is.

As far as the "manny" thing goes, can you guys picture me introducing him to my friends?? Or telling my brothers?? No way is some guy named "Sasha" going to be prancing around the house in an apron and a burp cloth, taking care of my mini Beth.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I hope you find just the right combination of talents in someone who is worthy of the position! Now I'll be singing that tune from Mary Poppins all the day:

If you want this choice position, have a cheery disposition. Rosy cheeks, no warts. Play games, all sorts!

etc etc etc

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

You must be kind
You must be witty
Very sweet and
Fairly pretty.

Take us on outings
Give us sweets
Sing song
Bring treats.

Never be cross or cruel
Never give us castor oil
Or gruel.

[wah wah]

Love us as a son and daughter
And never smell of barley water.

[I put that in too]

If you don't scold and
dominate us
We will never give you
cause to hate us.

We won't hide your spectacles
So you can't see
Put toads in your bed
Or peppah in your tea

Hurry, nanny.
Many thanks.
Sincerely.
Jane and Michael Banks.


Oh dear. I wish I had advice to give. I will tell you this, though. I had a great time belting out this song at my parents' house, transcribing myself.

Good luck, buddy-girl.

xxxEllie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

p.s. "25-year-old manny". Heh-heh.

Ellie