Saturday, September 19, 2009

Weekend 3-Way: what are you reading?

I’ve been totally neglecting the “what are you reading” sidebar here at Me, You, and Ellie. The other night I went to pick up my book, which I was loving, and I said to myself:

“Self, you should list this book on the blog for all the world to enjoy!”

And so I did. And approximately 42 minutes later, I finished that book.

So then I said to myself:

“Self, you are looking mighty fine tonight!”

(I like to affirm myself whenever possible)

“...but this book that you loved has only been listed on your blog for 42 minutes, and it’s almost midnight on a Tuesday, and how is the world supposed to enjoy knowing about this book when/if you update the blog about whichever book you’re going to start tomorrow?”

It’s a pickle! I really like this new book too, but the old one just didn’t get enough glory. And the one before that didn’t even get listed! I’m sure Ellie has been keeping her reading list current, but I haven’t looked at it – have I missed any gems? And Beth’s has said Twilight for months now, and sure there is a lot of Twilight to plow through, but do you think she’s still reading it?

My lovely co-bloggers, I implore you to answer these questions. What are you reading? What have you read lately? Have you read anything great that causes you to really miss the characters after you finish? I miss Diana.

Jacquie:

Diana is from the little book that almost didn’t get listed, We are All Welcome Here, by Elizabeth Berg. Have you read Elizabeth Berg? You should, she’s lovely. This is a sweet, slight little novel that begins with a captivating author’s note and ends with … well, I won’t tell you what it ends with, that would totally ruin it. Just read it.

Now I’m reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson. I can tell I’m going to love it.

Before Diana, I read I See You Everywhere, by Julia Glass. I love her, and this one was about two sisters - Louisa and Clement. I picked it up shortly after our Pocmont trip, which was ironic because it beings like so:

"I avoid reunions. I'm not a rebel, a recluse, or a sociopath, and I'm too young to qualify as a crank... Family reunions are the worst - all that competition disguised as fellowship"
.
Not my family, Julia. There's no competition there, everyone knows I'm the best.
.
Ellie:
LOL, Jacquie, and yes, of course I keep the “What are you reading” sidebar current. Duh.
.
At the moment I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I recently read his The Graveyard Book -- a young adult title that I really liked and that really stuck with me. I miss that character. His name is Nobody. And at the wiffle ball game I was at last Sunday, a toddler was reading -- well, being read to from -- a kids' book by Gaiman. The man, apparently, gets around.
.
Anyway, I like American Gods, but I'm about three-quarters finished, and I'm still not exactly sure what the hell is going on. I've been on the Bataan Party March lately, which precludes moments of sobriety during which to read, and moments of clarity during which to muse. I can tell you this, though: the main character's name is Shadow, and I love him.
.
The most recent good books I've read are Sweeping Up Glass by Carolyn D. Wall -- I loved it -- The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, which was on quite a few “15 books” lists -- I loved it, too -- and The Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo, which I loved, because I love everything Richard Russo writes.
.
Now excuse me: I've got to get back to my book.
.
Beth:
I read so little right now, that I forgot to read (and add to) this weekend's 3 way. Better late than never and all that.
.
And, yes, I did, in fact, finish the Twilight series, quite a while ago, thank you very much for asking, Jacquie ! The series was, in my opinion, average at best, but it did fill numerous afternoons in the hospital. And yes, I am terrible at updating the sidebar. Terrible.
.
Sigh. I'm not really reading right now. Any time that I would have normally spent reading is now spent sleeping.
.
However, my mother brought me Traveling with Pomegranates, the new book by Sue Monk Kidd and her daughter, Ann Kidd Taylor, and I can't wait to read it. My mom loved it. Absolutely. I don't think she's ever been this excited to give me a book, so I know it's going to be a gem. Has anyone read this one yet?
.
I really enjoyed The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan, and I also loved Confessions of a Contractor by Richard Murphy. Murphy's book is far from fine literature, but it was well written and very funny. A light, quick, fun summer read.

9 comments:

Mom C. said...

Jacquie, I'm almost finished with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - our book club read for next Monday - I hate to see it end. It's a great read. I have it if anyone wants to read it...love mom

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I'll take you up on that, Mom. Jennie read it and loved it too.

I have Jacquie's copy of "The Bridge of Sighs" if anyone wants me to pass it along.....

Ellie

Rita said...

I just could not get into The Girl... I tried and tried and it just didn't grab me.

Ellie--I recently read American Gods and really enjoyed it. I had a hard time figuring out what was going on, too, but the good writing and the intrigue of the plot kept me going. I have Neverwhere on my shelf to read soon.

Right now I am reading Fury by Salman Rushdie. I feel really inferior. There are all sorts of references that I'm not getting. I like the book, but it if keeps making me feel dumb, I may have to give it up.

Kathi D said...

I am about to start "Where Men Win Glory" by Jon Krakauer. It's his new one, about Pat Tillman. I sent it to my nephew, who went to college with Tillman and photographed him many times for the college newspaper, and Craig is giving it high praise.

I have loved all of Krakauer's books, so I'm looking forward to getting into this one.

Mary C said...

J~ I loved ...Dragon Tattoo, but LOVED even more the sequel!! And am wishing I was fluent in Swedish so I could read the third in the series! *sigh* will have to wait until it is translated...

I received The Help from some really FANTASTIC friends and just LOOVVVEEEDD it!!! (thanks!)

MB said...

I would love to borrow Jacquie's copy of "Bridge of Sighs" from you, Ellie! Thanks, you two.
I just read & loved "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz and "Those Who Save Us" by Jenna Blum.
MB

Anonymous said...

I've been struggling to find a read I am mildly interested in (let alone passionate about) ever since finishing The Book Thief, and Oscar Wao book has been on my nightstand unopened for weeks now...so thanks for the rec, MB. I do want to read the new Krakauer and am also interested in the new Lorrie Moore. Has anyone read that or her?

Dawn

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I love Lorrie Moore, Dawnie. And her new one is at the library this very morning, waiting for me to check out.....

We heard a great interview with Krakauer on NPR, but I don't know if I can read that book. And I, too, loved Oscar Wao. And, of course, The Book Thief.

Ellie

Anonymous said...

Excellent. I am now inspired to start and finish Oscar Wao, knowing there are so many more delights waiting in the wings.

Dawn