Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Oklahoma is OK

Have you ever read the above on the back of a car in front of you, and thought to yourself, "Are you kidding me?" "Oklahoma is OK"? Do they really want to aim so high with their license plate slogan? Aren't they just a tad bit embarrassed by the mediocrity?

But Oklahoma's lame license plates got me to thinking about all the other license plate slogans out there. Some of which just don't make any sense. Take for instance Arkansas' "The Natural State" or Kentucky's "Unbridled Spirit." What do these even mean?

If you have to ask, your branding just isn't working for you, is it?

I was curious, as per, so looked into Kentucky's Unbridled Spirit, and guess what? The Kentucky.gov site has a whole page explaining it. The third question on the list was my question:

What does “Kentucky Unbridled Spirit” mean?

Here is the definition:
“Kentucky is a place where spirits are free to soar and big dreams can be fulfilled. We relish competition and cherish our champions for their willingness to push beyond conventional boundaries to reach new heights of success.”

Hmm. Now I'm really confused!

Some Maine license plates sport, "Vacationland." They're kidding right? I mean, sure, I bet you could have a nice little vacation in Maine. In July. On the coast. But Vacationland? I highly doubt they've got a dearth of vacationers in February. Hasn't everyone read "Olive Kitridge" and "Empire Falls"? Depressing, I tell you. Not vacationland.

I'll give it to some states though, Montana's "Big Sky Country" is a winner, and I've always liked New Mexico's "Land of Enchantment" as well as Puerto Rico's very similar but prettier to say, "La Isla del Encanto" (Island of Enchantment). Arizona's "Grand Canyon State" is worthy because it's so apt as is Washington's "The Evergreen State" (and Montana's already mentioned big sky), whereas New Jersey's "The Garden State," just seems deceitful.

While I was poking around looking for state license plate branding I came across a website that reproduced  a list of made up state license plate mottos from the website of the "Township of Grace Gazette."

Some of these are pretty good:

Alabama
Hell Yes, We Have Electricity
(We have the electric chair)

Alaska
11,623 Eskimos Can't Be Wrong

Arkansas
Literacy Ain't Everything

Georgia
We put the "Fun" in Fundamentalist

Hawaii
Haka Tike Mou Sha'ami Leeki Toru
(Death to Mainland Scum, Leave Your Money)

Illinois
Please don't pronounce the 'S'

Louisiana
We're not ALL drunk Cajun wackos, But that's our Tourist Campaign

New Jersey
You Want a ##$%##! Motto?
I got Yer ##$%##! Motto Right Here!

West Virginia
One Big Happy Family...Really!

And my two personal favorites:
Nevada
Hookers and Poker!

Utah
Our Jesus Is Better Than Your Jesus

What can you all come up with?

3 comments:

misses Maryland in PA said...

Pennsylvania "Ignore the Winter"

I'll have to find that website..too funny.

And yes, according to my sister in Maine, people do flock to Maine in February for skiing. Go Figure...I prefer summer there.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I've always been proud to hail from the Constitution State. And I've always wondered.... what da????

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Kentucky cherishes their champions for their willingness to push beyond conventional boundaries to reach new heights of success? What, are they like the Champion State of the World?

And don't forget Connecticut's other nickname, Jacquie. The Nutmeg State. Because, you know, of all the nutmeg we grow here.

Now excuse me while I go sprinkle some nutmeg on my pasta.

Ellie