Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Through The Cracks

Jacquie's post yesterday -- which cracked me up to the high heavens and back -- also made me think about summer.

Ah summer.

I miss summer. Despite our great loss. I always talk about it, I know, but this time of year is hard for me. It gets dark so early, and it's too cold to sit outside, so I end up reading on the couch all evening. And I tell you what, people, this is just the beginning of a looooonnnnngggg season of me spending the evenings reading on the couch.

Anyway, I was looking at photos -- yes organizing them -- and found so many recent ones floating around, unused, unshared, unmoored. Which need using and sharing and mooring. They fell through the cracks, as it were, but I'm pulling them right back up. To make life complete and all that.

Plus, I get to revisit summer.

Actually, this has more of an end-of-summer feel to it. Appropriate, I suppose.

Mistah Schleckah takes scads of seagull photos. Loads of them. And I usually just flip by them because, well, they're seagulls. But these devils are particularly handsome, are they not?

Yum, wine.

I know I've shown this photo before but would you just look at these nieces and nephews of mine? Would you? They're the sparkly-eyed brigade.

They're 5/8 of my Niece&Nephews -- that's 62.5% -- and I'll tell you this: the other 37.5% are just as gorgeous.

Speaking of Beauty, Mistah tiptoed through the daises recently . . .

. . . with his usual results.

The beach. Ah, the beach. MB and MD got me a new beach radio for my birthday. On which we now listen to baseball playoff games at night, at home. I wish the planets were aligned just slightly differently so that summer lasted until after baseball season was over. That's all I ask. To be able to listen to these awesome --  awesome! -- Championship Series games during the day, on the beach. Right where we belong.

My friend Eileen and I recently spent an afternoon watching these Piping Plovers.

Or maybe they were Sanderlings? Or Sand Pipers? Who knows? Not me, that's who. But they're cute and they're fast and they look nothing like their gigantic seagull brethren.

And finally, Flying Babies.

Our friend Greta turned one last month. The Big One. And she loves to fly.

But why have one baby flying when you can have two?

Fly, Jelly Roll, Fly.

8 comments:

Springer Kneeblood said...

Happy happy! Summer in photos is a good thing.

misses summer in PA said...

Ahhh Summer! I'm so with you on trading the darker, cold night for the endless light and warm weather that is summer. Plus, the never ending supply of fresh tomatoes and basil right out my back door.
*snif*
Thank goodness I have a Yankee loss to counter the cold weather blues :)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, I know. 3-1, baby. Go Texas!

Ellie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour. Feels like it was a summer without you. But we didn't let fall and winter stop us last year, did we? Oh yeah, Texas 3wins, Yankees 1.

Hsin-Yi said...

I miss summer too, and so will the kid. Thanks for giving us so much deck time! I'm going to have to find a delicious fall concoction so Jelly Roll and I have an excuse to stop by.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Jelly roll is gigantic! Those seagull devils are aprticulary handsome, as are, of course, all your neices and nephews.

The first photo does have a terrific end-of-summer feel. But the wine photo? Well, it's fall all the way.

And if it makes you feel any better, the weather has been crap here too, crap I tell you, in supposedly sunny southern california. And it's been crap since, well, April, I think.

xo,
Beth

Captain Dumbass said...

Flying babies are the best! Unfortunately when I do that with mine right now it usually results in a rain of drool.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I find absolutely NOTHING handsome about seagulls, blech. But wine? Those cousins? The unpictured cousins? Flying babies? Pure handsomeness.

Smooches

Jacquie