Thursday, June 11, 2009

The bedrest survival kit

So I’ve been home on bedrest for 10 days now, and I’ve settled into a semi-regular daily routine.

It changes a bit depending on if the girls are here or not, but it more or less remains the same. (It’s hard to have a lot of variety when you’re in the same bed in the same room, day after day.

But I’m adapting, and here are a few of the things that are getting me through:



The cool view of the orange tree that I have from my bed.

The two laptops that keep me plugged into the world and working full time (so that I stay both solvent and sane), along with the completely cool, over-the-bed, hospital-style table that holds the laptops (or papers, or bills, or whatever I'm working on).

Good books (no need to say more).

My eco-friendly, swiss-engineered water bottle (thanks, kendra), that I never really used before, but that I can't imagine living without now. Oh, and the super comfy fuzzy blanket that it is resting on in this photo (thanks, mom).

My iphone (thanks, T) that let's me talk, text, email, check the web, AND listen to my favorite tunes.

often, while lying on this very chaise lounge, which sits a few feet outside the bedroom sliding glass door, beckoning me each afternoon the sun is shining.
.
Of course there is also a lot that needs to be said about all the people who are helping me through, but that's a post for another day...

9 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Wow, Beth. You make bed rest seem almost... pleasant. I know it's got to be hard; I'm glad you're so well set up. And I hope T and the girls are well trained and cater to your every drink, snack or newspaper need.

Ellie

Lisa S said...

I have to comment on your book choice: I grew up with the Corrigan family. They are a great crew and that book is so moving. Maybe you know about this? It made the internet rounds a while ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNY8KL_YSlc
Don't know you but hope you are feeling well.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I have the same water bottle! Glad you are finding ways to stay in the game, and with no shortage of internet devices! I loved your response to my offer to get you groceries yesterday:

"we've got everything we need, I think, I don't actually look in the fridge much these days, but the meals keep coming, so there must be something in there :-)"

Sounds like a well-oiled bedrest machine! How's that book? I'll take it when you're done, thank you very much. Let me know when you need more to read, or (of course) anything else.

Jacquie

In need of some R&R in central PA said...

If you need a stand-in for some of your bedrest, PLEASE call. I know it's not ideal but the silver lining you have posted is very appealing :-)

Lots to be said for living in a beautiful place when the Dr. says "don't get up". I'm glad to see the sunscreen by the chaise lounge.

Please call me when you finish the book. I haven't had a friend to relive parts of it with yet.

Let me know if you need anything...PA to CA isn't too far to deliver a meal!

in need of some R&R in central PA said...

I don't know where that 'amp' came from...

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Thanks for the link, Lisa, I had seen a "mother's day" video clip of Kelly Corrigan talking about her mother (and Borders bookstore), which was very funny, but I had not seen this one. "Transcending," which she reads in the link you provide, is included at the end of this paperback, so I've got my very own copy now :-)

I just finished the book, so Jacquie, it's all yours, and Dorothea, I'll call you soon to discuss.

Beth

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Lisa, that is so cool -- that book is jumping right to the top of my list.

Ellie

Lola said...

You will never see me without my Sigg water bottles! Hang in there. My bed rest came late in the fall, but I still went and sat out back. The fresh air kept me sane.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Okay, so Lisa, I just watched this, and I've watched it before! I love it.

Ellie