Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Fleur-de-lis

I love purple irises.

They're my favorite flower.

The stylized version of the iris is the fleur-de-lis . . .

. . . the symbol of Saint Joan of Arc . . .

. . . and the city of New Orleans. And their Saints.

We have purple irises growing at our house in Fort Davis.

And I carried purple irises on my wedding day.

Our friend and neighbor Ron knows I love purple irises . . .

. . . so cut some for us for our one-year-in-one-place anniversary. But not only that . . .

. . . he also gave us a ton of bulbs to plant.

Actually, though, they're not really bulbs. They're rhizomes.

So I planted some rhizomes here . . .

. . . and I planted some rhizomes there . . .

. . . I planted rhizomes everywhere. I even planted a little purple iris bed in the outfield at Champagne Park.

Wait a second. Well, lookie here. Right in that purple iris bed.

A solid double. Nice shot, Jennie!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny Girl!!

Di

Hsin-Yi said...

I love Purple Irises as well, but don't have any in my yard. Ellie - you have inspired me to go out and get some! My friend has a 6'x6' patch filled with them in her back yard. Now I just have to convince her to give me some rhizomes. But first I have to learn how to pronounce that...

Sweet Jennie said...

Hmmm.......... is a double in the Iris Bed sometimes better than a homerun @ Champagne Park????
BTW Hsin, I have aplenty of Iris to share, rhizome and all, just let me know.:-)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I love that you are so inspired by the colors in nat-cha these days. Irises are gorgeous, it will be stunning around your pad when they bloom.

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Love the wedding photo!

And the rhizomes. This blog is almost a gardening blog :-)

Beth

Sweet Jennie said...

As you can see from the photos, Ellie is quite the gardener. Although Billy might have planted the irises differently, I think our girl is a natural!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Aw, thanks Sweet Jennie. Coming from you, you of the green thumbs, wrists and elbows, that is *quite* a compliment...

Ellie

Captain Dumbass said...

We have white, black and blue irises, but no purple. Always room for more though.

Lola said...

One of my faves, too. Our yard is full of them right now, and yours will be soon. They spread like wildfire.

What a pretty bride you made!!!