Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Interesting

I'm always on the lookout for Something Interesting, so I can blog about it.

I've usually got at least a few gems stored away in the dark, cobwebbed recesses of my mind from which I can eke out a little story. But sometimes those recesses are empty, and all I can hear in there is the echo of my own hopeful voice.

.

hellloooooo?

.

When that happens, I have to kick it up to the next level, putting myself on alert for Anything Interesting to write about.

This is one of those times.

Inspired during my shower this morning, I toyed with the idea of writing about the spot on my knee that I always miss with the razor. But in saying those few words, the story has been all but told! So all day today I have been on heightened alert, thinking of stories from my childhood, ways to poke fun at my children or friends, random experiences in the retail world, whatever.

Something Interesting.

How about this:

.

Aoccdrnig to a reersach peapr at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deson't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Waht do you tihnk aobut taht?

.

If this is true, why can I so often see nothing but a misplaced apostrophe when reading someone else's writing? My life would be more calm and zenlike if my brain would just place it correctly. Interesting.

.

Want to try something Interesting? You have to click through to other webpages, but it's worth it. The first time I experienced this, I was in a lecture hall with about 300 other graduate students. Here's what you do:

The link below will take you to a page where you will be able to view a short video clip. After you read these directions, go to the page and start the clip.

In the movie, you will see a group of people wearing black or white shirts that are playing with two balls. Your task is to count how many times the ball is passed by those wearing white shirts. That's it. Do not play the video more than once, just count the number of passes by the people in white shirts, and jot your number down, then come back here for step 2.

Remember, count only the passes of the ball by those wearing white.

.

When you are ready, click here to start the movie.

.

Welcome back! Got your number? Okay, proceed to step two. Then come back again. I miss you already.

.

The human brain? In.Ter.Est.Ing. No?

5 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Interesting indeed. I really cannot quite believe it, I must say. And I'm not sure, as a result, that my brain would qualify as interesting. Maybe just plain dumb.

Ellie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Is that REALLY the same video? Really? It just doesn't seem possible.

It just goes to show you, we humans see what we want to see and miss a lot of the rest.

Beth

neighborhood watchwoman in central PA said...

THANK YOU!

After another school board meeting that ended at midnight (I decided not to harass you last night Beth)
I felt that my brain was fried and that my points might not be coming across correctly, but you proved me wrong...

I got 14 passes and a gorilla!! who knows what that means but I plan to test my 14 yr old and see if I can impress him with my multi-tasking brain power.

I must admit that I only remember briefly seeing an extra person in black so I deduced that it must have been a gorilla. Seeing the video a 2nd time was a real eye opener.

Melissaand3boys said...

I agree. I feel pretty dumb after viewing that. And...I did come back to your original video link to verify they were the same link because I was that untrusting!

I think that is very interesting...Yikes. Maybe I am just a Muggle, like I tell my kids.

Anonymous said...

That was GREAT! Thanks. :-)