Friday, October 17, 2008

Election Day

Happy Election Day!
.
What do you mean it's not the first Tuesday in November? Around these parts, Election Day is the 3rd Friday in October.
.
At least, that's when Mistah and I vote..
.
We got these in the mail the other day: .

We're registered to vote in the Lone Star State. We figure Texas needs a couple of good Democratic votes more than Connecticut does.
.
The big green envelopes were full of lots of interesting paperwork, most importantly, these: .

Official Ballots. For the 2008 General Election. Gives me the goose-bumps.
.
Let's spy on Mistah as he votes, shall we?
.
Fill that bubble in fully, Mistah Schleckah. Nice and dark.

Well done. One for the good guys.

Now fold up the ballot, stick it in the ballot envelope . . .

. . . and seal it. Mistah seals envelopes by licking his finger, and spreading the spit on the glue on the envelope. Weird, huh?

Then put the ballot envelope into the carrier envelope . . .

. . . and seal that one . . .

. . . and sign it.
.
The carrier envelopes that deliver completed ballots to Jeff Davis County are bright and yellow and very important-looking.
.
And now there is just one final, crucial step.
.
Put those bad boys in the hands of the U.S.Postal Service. Our mail carrier, Lori, is the perfect woman for the job.
.
Bon voyage, ballots. Happy Election Day, everybody!

15 comments:

Nancy said...

Yippie-Yi-Yo-Ki-Yea!

I won't lick envelopes either.

Paper cuts, rat poop in the glue (per urban tales), and yucky taste.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Well done, Ellie & Mistah.

I had a moment of panic earlier this week when I realized that I had not yet re-register to vote (after moving last month). I was on the phone with the ROV (registrar of voters) lickity spit (pun intended).

Beth

Kat said...

My absentee ballots from South Carolina never arrived and I think I am not gonna get to vote. I am sooo pissed off.

Unknown said...

I'm trying my best to convert these people in PA. I don't know how it will go though.

Unknown said...

Looks a lot like the process for a California absentee voter. Not that California needs my democratic vote, but then, neither does Maryland, so it's basically just to make me feel better.

Springer Kneeblood said...

I hope your ballots make it to the final count. Take a look at this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/23638322/block_the_vote

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh God, I'm SO NERVOUS. Joe Biden e-mailed me (we're tight) to remind me not to get smug - he said: "Let's not forget the 2000 election, when Al Gore was up by double digits in October" .

Equally troubling are the assinine propositions we have to vote on in California. Makes me want to marry Beth, just to prove that I can. Sorry Bill

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Firstly, the first Tuesday in November is HUGELY important here in Australia. It is a horse race and we get the day off work for it!

Secondly, seriously, the mail carrier TAKES mail from your mailbox? I totally thought that was made up in teh movies. WISH we had that here!

Anonymous said...

Popping them into a mailbox seems to anti-climactic. Someone in a really official uniform should come and pick them up in an armoured truck or something.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

There are just so very many interesting tidbits in these comments.

I got an email from another friend who seals envelopes the way Mistah and Nancy do. All three of 'em are weirdos.

Heinous, thank you. PA is hugely important. Keep at it, wouldja?

Springer, that is some scary-ass stuff. "Suppressing the vote has long been a cornerstone of the GOP's electoral strategy." Great comments, too. Sigh. Something else -- something BIG -- to worry about now.....

Wait, Kelley, a day off in Australia? For a horse race? Um, really? And I thought Patriots Day in Boston was impressive.

And, YES, mail gets collected right out of your mailbox. By a big giant armored truck.

Ellie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, wait, I forgot the most important thing of all. Jacquie and Beth, you can now come to Connecticut to get married! And Jacquie, for some reason I thought your Sorry Bill meant MY Bill. 'Cuz, really, he wouldn't mind at all.

Ellie

Zip n Tizzy said...

I'm the fourth wierdo... don't like licking envelopes either... fortunately I just have to walk down the street to cast my ballot. Just a few more weeks... better get studying my BOOK of propositions. Ah CALIFORNIA!

Kathi D said...

Yay! I'll be voting as soon as my absentee ballot shows up. I'm watching the mailbox like a hawk!

Kathi D said...

Those gays keep trying to break up my marriage but by golly, we're hanging on!

Seriously though, I'm getting worried about California Prop. 8--it was going down to a big defeat but I heard the other day that the yeses were pulling even. I hope I heard wrong!

NucMEd is Hot said...

I got to vote yesterday, although in Kansas we have nothing cool like gay marriage...we're boring