Monday, October 20, 2008

Everything in its place

This is the first Sunday night in a long time that I actually feel like I'm on top of things. I know that it's not entirely true - I have bills that need paying and I forgot to bring the cord that connects to my camera home from work (so I can't download the photo I took for this blog post from here, so my post will, yet again, be posted sometime after 8:30 AM PST), but for the first time in a while I don't feel like I'm way behind, desperate to catch up.

I had a good weekend. My daughters had playdates, one of which enabled me to make it to yoga (thanks, Lynn!), and we spent Saturday afternoon and night at the San Diego Marriott Marina (and hotel) swimming, hot tubbing, grilling hot dogs, drinking beers (well not the girls), etc. (thanks, T!) But my high point of the weekend was the fact that I organized the top drawer in my bathroom.

I was feeling edgy, unorganized, the antithesis of feng shui (and have been for a while now) until after I went out and bought, brought home, opened up, and put into use a new expandable drawer organizer. (Yes, I am a bit Monkish so this should not be a big surprise.)

But what is surprising to me is just how much relief I felt once I had all my top-drawer toiletries (somewhat analogous to top-shelf liquor) corralled into their own special compartments.


How is it that organizing such a small part of your life can help you to get your entire life into focus?

11 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oooh, pretty! I totally hear you, sistah. Well-sorted crap is the best kind of crap to have. Your pretty products are SO not crap, but you know what I mean.

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Great lookin organization in that drawer! Almost makes me want to go do the same with my bathroom drawer. What a nightmare it is!

Unknown said...

I don't know, I see two things that don't quite fit in their compartments. It's driving my crazy.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Heinous, you're entirely correct. And very funny.

My four year old felt exactly as you do, and re-arranged those two items for me. As you can see, I moved them back. They may not fit, but they don't fit where I want them to.

Beth

Me, You, or Ellie said...

You would make a great Westy camper, Beth.

Ellie

Aunt Becky said...

I feel similarly calm after I purge the crap out of my closet.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed that you keep your toothbrush and toothpaste in a drawer???

Kat said...

Very good organization. We tackled the important papers in the house a couple of weeks ago and really it feels so much better knowing exactly where everything is. Kudos!

Kathi D said...

Thanks a lot. YOU feel organized and now *I* want a drawer organizer like that, and I will feel unorganized until I have one.

Bitch.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Ah Kathi, I'll tell you a little secret. The organizer is actually a jewlery organizer (which is why, as Heinous points out, not everything fits that well). So you could easily one up me by purchasing an actual drawer organizer.

Then who'd be the bitch?

Beth

Kathi D said...

Oh, sweet! I will have the chance to RULE! (Given present puppy circumstances, I project a shopping trip for organizers sometime in 2009-10.)